April 8, 2008

Brickyard Cafe


So last night my husband and I celebrated our 5-year wedding anniversary. You know what that means? Date night! Anytime it is just the two of us going to eat we pick one of the downtown restaurants. This time it was Brickyard Cafe. I'll have to say them and Verdi are our favorites.


We started dinner off with some calamari. I don't eat calamari, but they looked really good. A nice golden color, and plenty for a table of four to share. You could tell they change out their frying oil often because it didn't have any of those little burnt pieces you find at other places. I ordered a bread basket. Sometimes they charge us the $2 menu list price for the bread, sometimes they don't. I guess it depends on the waiter. It had like 6 long, thick slices of bread and they give you olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping. You can also ask for some parmesean cheese to add to the mix. I'll have to say lately their vinegar is icky. It has a real bite to it, and I don't like to eat it.


I am a creature of habit and got the Fettuccine Alfredo. It wasn't as flavorful as usual, but was pretty good and super creamy. My husband got the Prince Edward Island Mussels. They come on a bed of pasta with a marinara sauce, and the portion is so generous he can never finish it (and he always cleans his plate). He was like "that's $50 worth of mussels!" I had enough pasta leftover for mine and Sophia's dinner tonite, but it is never as good leftover as when you get it fresh at the restaurant.


I only wish we'd had the waiter we usually have on Friday nights. He has straight black hair in a pony tail and always is so attentive. I think his name is Michael.


Overall it was a great dinner and we will be back! -Katie

No comments: